Monday, February 11, 2008

The Mighty Avengers #1 Review

This issue opens with a spalsh page showing all the (new) Mighty Avengers. The first thing I don't like so much is the little Stark File boxes. I don't mind the information, but it's just a waste of space to put thoes little 'click tab for more information'. Someone should tell them you can't click a tab in a printed comic book. And then we get to see all the Mole Man's monsters attacking, again.

Then we get the flash back of Iron Man and Ms. Marvel forming the team. They talk about how they will pick a team and not let fate do it. Then it's a couple of pages back to the fight. And back to the forming of the team. They talk of how they need a dynamic team, not just all one type of person. Then the 'hunt down the New Avengers' forshadowing is done. And back to the fight.
Then we get the split pages of picking the team and showing them in battle. Then they have the 'we need a Wolverne and a Thor and a ninja' chat. Then they recruit Ares. Go back to the fight for a bit. Then the weather of the wold goes wild. Mole Man pops up with some vague 'you killed my world' speech. And Iron Man morphs into the Ultron Babe.
I've never been a fan of this type of flashback storytelling. I'd be fine with a dozen team forming pages and then the dozen battle pages.

The Team-

-Iron Man-No problem here, founding member and is in charge and all. And I do like Iron Man.
-Ms. Marvel-Why back to Ms. Marvel? I liked the name Warbird much better. Guess it's 'Marvel' comics os it's 'Ms. Marvel'. I like her has team leader, she has come a long way.
-The Wasp-I've always liked the Wasp. Always one of my favorate Avengers. Though I'm not sure she was the 'best' Avenger
-Wonder Man-He is OK, I don't like or dislike him. And the team does need a 'Strong Guy'.
-The Sentry-Ugh. I have this character. Such a lame Superman clone. And a Lame '1950's pulp' story. And he is crazy too. Guess he will 'die' soon enough though.
-Black Widow-I like her too. She has that nice, hard edge.
-Ares-I have no idea where he came from. Sure I've seen the God Ares a bunch of times in the Avengers books....but the Ares living on Earth with a kid? I don't read every Marvel book..and I don't like it when I miss stuff. His character is tough enough for a 'Thor' and 'Wolverine' character.

The 'Thor', 'Wolverine' and the 'Ninja'. A ninja? In 2008? Ninja's are so last century. I just don't think they are 'so cool' anymore. A 'Thor' I'd guess is seprate from a 'Strong Guy' that every team must have. Thor for the vague mystical commection? And simple brute force? And the 'Wolverine'. This is the worst one. Even Wolverine is not Wolverine, not in a group. It's not like the group will let Wolverine BE Wolverine. Wolverine understands that to save lives/the world you might need to kill, not just knock the bad guys down. The rest of the group will never go for this, so why bother having a 'Wolverine' there at all. Say Doctor Chaos shows up and wants a zillion bucks or he will crash the moon into the Earth. 'Wolverine' runs up and beheads him. Will the rest of the Avengers pat him on the back and give him a cigar?

Polt Problems-Why was Mole Man attacking again? Just to have a monster bash?
-Why did not Iron Man or Wonder Man or The Wasp figure out that they are fighting 'Mole Man ' monsters? They have all fought them before. Why does not the 'Stark Log' identify them?
Ultron-so now ultron is a 'Termanator' type Babe? What? Why? Ultron is a metal robot, with an iconic look. If your going to make a whole new character, why not give them a new name? This was not Ultron, at least Ultron in name only.

In all I give it a 'B'. There are problems, but not too many big ones.

No comments: